Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jeremiah's Boxes

Ever since I lost Jeremiah, I have been trying to find a way to give back. I've tried to think of ways to write each angels name in a creative way or do something in every angels memory. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a way. However, I did find a way to do it locally. I originally decided I would hold garage sales and sell baked goods etc. to donate markers to the families at babyland, where Jeremiah is who do not have the funds for the marker. Again, I ran into some logistical problems, first markers are very, very expensive. I didn't want to be put in a position where I had to pick one family over another. So I went back to the drawing board.

I looked on other BLM blogs and such and noticed these boxes many of them were donating to hospitals for families who lost their babies. Honestly, I wish I would have gotten a box like that when I loss Jeremiah. There was so much going on that I didn't think about having my husband go to Target and get Jeremiah an outfit or an imprint kit. I also didn't know if I should take pictures at that point I really didn't really want to see or hold Jeremiah either....it was all so foreign  to me and I was really scared. Luckily, I asked the nurse for advice, she talked to me about holding him and letting the hospital photographers take his picture. I am so glad I did!! I would have loved to to have more to remember him by. If I would have gotten a box with items from someone who has lived in that world, I would have used it. I would have loved to have an imprint kit, stuff to give him a bath with, a cute little outfit or blanket to wrap him in that did not belong to the hospital. I decided that this would be what I would do to give back and also remember my little bull frog.

I spoke to the lady who runs the AMEND support group in my area and she loved the idea. Since she does go to the hospital to meet families after their loss she said she would bring the boxes with her and give them to the families while they still had their babies there. The next thing I did was send an email to friends and family as well as other AMEND parents to see if they would be willing to donate some of the items for the boxes. I was amazed at the response I have gotten so far. I have had people at work bring me picture frames, candles, stuffed animals, seeds, etc and it has only been 3 days!!! I also had a fellow BLM from AMEND make heart shaped bean bags in memory of her angel Emma. I am really excited and am hoping that if the boxes need to be given to a family who has lost their precious baby that maybe I can help eliminate some of the regrets that I had after loosing Jeremiah. This is Jeremiah's footprint, I plan on making these boxes for as long as I can to keep his memory alive.

Below is a picture of some of the things so far.....


As far as angel baby names I'm sure I will come up with something soon....I promise!!

3 comments:

KnottedFingers said...

Hi sweetie! Do you have actual boxes yet? Would you like my help in that? I decorate and donate memory boxes. I've got an example on my blog for angel Claire's mom. If you'd like to check it out and tell me if it's something you would be interested in. I could make you up 4 or 5 and send them to you

(P.S. That was me before again. This computer keeps logging me in under my old account which I don't use for privacy issues. So sorry for commenting and deleting it and reposting it again)

Holly said...

The boxes are a really good idea! Families (unfortunately) are always in need of those.

LetterstoClaire said...

This is a really fantastic idea, and it's so unfortunate that not every hospital provides memory boxes for their patients. We were lucky that ours provided an outfit, blanket, box and photographs. As a guide, here is what ours included: Small photo album, candy (I'm not sure why), disposable camera, music CD with songs fit for grieving and remembering, small infant ring, charm of tiny footprints. The other items were all put in by the hospital staff from different volunteers i.e. they make a bracelet with the babies name on it. Someone else provides a small mold kit for her feet for tiny imprints. It can sit up like a frame which is nice. The hospital also made casts out of her hands and feet, and they were stored in a small bag inside of the box. I'll do a blog on it later today with pictures for you, so you can get some ideas of what other hospital's and organizations are doing. It's a great thing to do!

Post a Comment