Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Babyland

Ok....if I haven't mentioned it before I am a teacher and I do have a little boy named Jeremiah who's final resting place is called Babyland. This is my first year at this school, I am an intervention specialist and only certain schools in my district have this position. To get a position close to home is very rare. Last school year while pregnant with J I was driving 30 miles each way to get to work. In March of last year, a position at a school 12 miles from my house and down the street from my son's babysitter opened up. I was very hesitant to apply. I had a friend who worked there and she was trying to get me to move. I was very hesitant that 1- a principal would hire someone pregnant and 2- taking a leave somewhere new would be very stressful in addition to having a new baby. In June, I noticed the position was still open, I called my friend and told her about my situation. She said she would speak to her principal. I thought about it as a way to save gas and time and be able to spend more time with my boys. The principal said she did not care I was pregnant and immediately called my district supervisor about me. My supervisor told her to snatch me up ASAP. My friend called me that afternoon and told me that I had an interview the next day. I was so nervous. I went into my interview pregnant and all and was hired. She did not care I was pregnant. Two weeks later I lost my little man. It was such a blessing to be in a different environment. The school I was working in was such a negative place and the principal is very hard to work for...plus all the staff, parents, and children knew I was pregnant. How would I explain to 1st graders and 2nd graders that my son died? I was happy to be somewhere where very few people knew and would ask questions and my new principal is amazing!!

Well I told that whole long story to say that there is a male kindergarten teacher who works with me. I get along with him really well. In fact, I actually want him to be M's teacher when he gets to kindergarten. He's very animated and interacts with his students so well. I walked into his class in October and he said to one of the kids "C...if you can't get your act together you will have to go sit in babyland." My heart sank!! I fought to hold back the tears. I found it so offensive. No parent in the world wants their child to sit or even spend a minute in babyland. Two weeks ago he was fussing at another student and said something along those lines. He did it again last week. I don't spend very much time in there because I go from classroom to classroom working with small groups of struggling readers. But I have been in there long enough to see the kids sitting in that area and hearing those comments. I mentioned it to my friend who helped me get the job about it and she suggested I talk to him about it. I finally got the courage to mention something to him. I know he did not know about Jeremiah but I told him and also told him I did not want him to feel bad but that's where my son is and it's very offensive b/c no parent wants their child there.Plus it's a place I hold as pure not somewhere negative. He was very nice and said he was sorry. But I feel like maybe I should not have been so sensitive and should have let it go.

3 comments:

Michele said...

I've never heard the phrase "babyland" for where our babies are. part of it is that i believe in an afterlife but not a baby specific place; I also have never cared for the term I have heard (dead baby land). Is it possible that, although you spoke to him, that word didnt take hold for him because it isnt something he ascribes to? Maybe he believes babies who die got to heaven, so for him, the term "babyland" doesnt hold anything.

Regardless, I'm sorry that you were hurt :(

KnottedFingers said...

Awww sweetie. You are right for commenting to him about it. He did apologize. It's possible he had no idea. Before my baby died I had NO idea that the baby section of a cemetery was called Babyland. No clue

Holly said...

I get why you didn't want him to use the phrase babyland and I kinda agree. He could def have better wording.

Post a Comment